Relining dentures involves refitting the inner surface of dentures, the part that rests against your gums. This allows for close contact between the base of your mouth and its soft tissues. Dentures should be relined on average once every two years.
You have two options when it comes to relining: hard or soft.
Hard denture reline uses the same components as original dentures. It allows dentures to fit “like brand new”.
The main difference between a soft and firm reline is the addition of flexible material with cushioning capabilities. This provides comfort, but it is less durable and requires more care.
Denture repairs can be used to fix damage caused by normal wear and tear, or an accident such as dropping dentures. Most denture repairs are completed in one day and can cost as low as $150. For more complex maintenance, it may take up to five days.
- Fixing chips
- Filling cracks
- Replacing missing teeth.
- To ensure a better fit, adjust your dentures.
- Rebasing teeth from an older set of dentures
Benefits of Denture Relining
- Maximise your comfort
- Avoid sore spots
- Reduce the use of adhesives for dentures.
Signs that you need denture repair or reline
- No longer will your dentures fit.
- Your dentures can slip in your mouth
- You may have slurred speech or your voice is distorted while speaking.
- You can’t eat foods you used to eat easily.
- Visible cracks and damage
- You can see darkened areas in your dentures that trap debris
- Regular cleaning won’t remove stains
- Your mouth is prone to chronic soreness.
- Wear your dentures with general discomfort
For a consultation with a denture specialist, contact us if you have any of these problems.
What to expect during your appointment
- A denture specialist will examine your mouth and perform a full exam
- They will inspect your dentures and make note of any damage or stains.
- They will offer recommendations for your particular oral health concerns
- They’ll tell you if denture repair or reline are the best options.
- They will explain the process, the cost and the time it will take.
- They will also take images or impressions as required
Brisbane Denture Repair or Relining