Premature ejaculation (PE) happens when semen is expelled from your body sooner than you or your partner would desire during sex. This condition can be a cause for concern because it might make sex less enjoyable and affects your relationship. If you experience PE that causes issues, consult with a Premature Ejaculation Doctor to know your treatment options.
How Ejaculation Happens
Your central nervous system controls your ability to ejaculate. If you are sexually stimulated, your brain and spinal cord get signals. Once you reach a certain level of excitement, your brain sends signals to your reproductive organs, causing the ejection of semen through your penis. The following are two stages of ejaculation:
- Emission. This is when your sperm moves from your testicles to your prostate. When mixed with seminal fluid, your sperm becomes semen. The sperm reaches your penis through a tube called vas deferens.
- Expulsion. Expulsion. This refers to the contraction of the muscles at your penis’ base, forcing semen out of your penis. Often, ejaculation and orgasm take place at the same time. However, you could reach climax without ejaculating and you may lose erection at this stage.
How PE is Associated with Erectile Dysfunction
In some instances, PE is an issue for men who are suffering from ED. In this case, a man cannot get or keep an erection that is firm enough to make sex possible. Because you will lose erection after ejaculation, it can be hard to know if the issue is PE or ED. Your doctor should treat ED first. Sometimes, you may not experience PE after your ED is treated.
Common Causes of PE
Premature ejaculation can occur because of the following reasons:
- Serotonin. When your brain has high amounts of serotonin, your ejaculation time can increase. Meanwhile, low amounts of this substance can shorten your ejaculation time, resulting in PE.
- Psychological problems. PE can occur due to mental health or psychological issues such as depression, guilt, anxiety, sexual repression history, disappointment over sexual performance, relationship issues, and lack of confidence. Usually, it can help you overcome PE when your emotional issues are managed properly.
- Other issues. Premature ejaculation can be experienced at any age. Aging does not directly cause the condition, although it causes erection and ejaculation changes. Older men may not experience firmer or bigger erections. They may not be able to hold their rejection for long before ejaculation takes place. Such changes can result in earlier ejaculation.